Friday, May 30, 2008

Taking delivery

One of Dave's favorite pieces of advise is "get a job delivering pizza's, and make an extra thousand a month". Now, I didn't take this seriously. Until I read "My Pizza Delivery Blog" on the My total money makeover forum, by Patrick. Then I searched for other pizza delivery blogs on the net (lots of bitter drivers, BTW).
So first place I apply is at a national chain. Hey yeah, they're looking for a couple of drivers (looking at the schedule recently, it looks like they hired 4). So I go through the application process, drug test, and orientation, and my first few days on the job. This took about 3 weeks.
So, my first day on the job is on a Wednesday, right before Memorial day weekend. I'm just doing ridealongs with another driver, and learning the "other" duties-box folding, dishwashing, prep work.
My ridealong driver, D, was the quiet type, but willing to speak when questioned. He let me do a couple of deliveries, and keep the tips ($7.00). Offered him 5, since it was his car, and his gas. He waved it off. Good guy. He also got stiffed on a big order to a corporate office paying by CC.

Friday night, I'm doing a few deliveries with another driver, B. Do a few deliveries with him watch, but no tips for me.
Then I'm cut loose.
I do 7 deliveries. Only one is notable in that they said the order was wrong, so per policy I offered to call the store. Her response was "oh no, we need to eat". So back to the store I went. By the time I get there, she's on the phone talking to the manager. I gave him my side of the story, and he just says to call the store anyways, next time.

Average is 12.52 an hour that night.

Saturday! 7 trips again, in 4.5 hours. Includes a couple of long trips. On the same trip, one was a bogus order, they didn't order and the number wasn't in service, and then the next order on the same trip, I ran into a kind of humorous situation, except I got stiffed.
The family had decided to open their pop up camper, and apparently, while the lady who ordered was in it, her son decided to play a joke on her and used a double ended snap hook to lock the door. Problem was, the hook barely made the distance between the hasps, and he couldn't get the snap hook off. That's the scene I came upon. So the lady just sticks her arm out between the door frame and canvas, asks for the CC receipt, sticks her arm out again and asks for a pen. Sticks the receipt and pen out again, no tip. I helped her get out anyway, by pushing on the door frame to draw the hasps closer. Anyone who has had a pop up camper knows how "loose" the door frame really is. Averaged 13.52 an hour.

Sunday, another 7 trips, one free delivery cause a previous order (not mine) was wrong. One trip to my brothers house, nephew answered door, and gave a generous trip-I don't know if it was because he was surprised to see me, or if it was a regular tip for him.
BTW, my brother is one of those people whom Dave Ramsey is referring to when he says "Don't give me financial advice, You're broke". 4 bankruptcies in the last 20 years or so, including one last year. Their newest home is being foreclosed on this fall. So they moved to a different house, still a very expensive one in a very expensive neighborhood, and a hummer parked in the driveway. How do they keep getting this stuff?
Averaged 15.26 an hour. Not bad at all!

No comments: